"Take an action each day that alleviates suffering in the world. Bring light into darkness."
-Angeles Arrien


Here is the test to find whether your mission on earth is finished:
If you're alive, it isn't.
--- Richard Bach

I have come to realize more and more that the greatest disease and the greatest suffering is to be unwanted, unloved, uncared for, to be shunned by everybody, to be just nobody [to no one]
--Mother Teresa


We were not separated at your birth.
It was the moment at which we began our journey toward each other
.
-Nancy McGuire Roche

Sunday, October 28, 2007

1st full day in Hanoi

Well things are looking up today. We started out this morning early. I did
not sleep well on the rock bed last night so I was up and ready to go. We
decided to take a walk to the other side of town to the Somerset to beg for a
room. We stopped on the way and bought Mark a "Rolex" watch. OI
am trying this haggling to get better at it but not much success today. I saw a
cute little quilted dragonfly Jacket for my 4 year old but she would not move on
the price. I must have picked the wrong shop. She let me
walk away. I heard they mark up their wares 100% when they see an American and you should only pay 25-50% of their first stated price. Oh well, I guess I better keep practicing.

It was a nice walk past the lake. Very breathtaking today with
the mist. Pictures do not do it justice. I was very nervous about crossing the
street but I did fine. The old quarter of town is quite an experience. Something
you definitely have to see. All the people right on the middle of the sidewalk
doing their thing. I thought we would be more noticeable but that doesn't seem to
be the case. People just seem to look right past us. I feel like we are blending
in.

When we got to the Somerset they said they did not have a room come back
tomorrow. I kept pushing and he eventually came up with a 2 bedroom executive
suite. We don't need something that big but it is great. It feels like home.
Definitely somewhere I can bring the babies back to comfortably. Now I feel more
settled and ready to go get them.

We met a family adopting from Bach Ninh through WC as we were checking out
of the Hong Ngoc. Shoot, I can't remember her name. Their G&R is on
Monday. Their are a few families going to Bach Ninh.

We also got a call from Kent and her Husband Frank. They are the
3rd couple adopting from Lang son on Tuesday. They are adopting a 4 1/2
month old little boy. They came over to out apartment at the Somerset and we
visited with them for a while.

2 comments:

Sue said...

Hi Heather, I'm glad you got to meet up with some other WC folks. Try to enjoy your last couple of baby_free days. It won't be long now!!

Sue

Anonymous said...

Good for you. enjoy the room. And the groovy watch!