"Take an action each day that alleviates suffering in the world. Bring light into darkness."
-Angeles Arrien


Here is the test to find whether your mission on earth is finished:
If you're alive, it isn't.
--- Richard Bach

I have come to realize more and more that the greatest disease and the greatest suffering is to be unwanted, unloved, uncared for, to be shunned by everybody, to be just nobody [to no one]
--Mother Teresa


We were not separated at your birth.
It was the moment at which we began our journey toward each other
.
-Nancy McGuire Roche

Thursday, August 09, 2007

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~Edw









If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one. ~Mother Teresa



These are my 3 beautiful sponsored children from China. I started sponsoring them monthly a year ago when we choose to pursue an adoption in Vietnam instead of China

I had always felt drawn to the children of China. At one point I had thought that's where our daughter was. I was very confused when the door to China closed for us just as the door to Vietnam reopened. I knew I was meant to do something for these children of China but if it was not to adopt then what was it? Even after starting to pursue the adoption in Vietnam, I could still not shake the feeling that something was calling me in China. I started to research and found out about an American run foundation http://www.chinaorphans.org/ where special needs children live while awaiting treatment and recovering. Because of their serious special needs these children are not considered adoptable.Without this foundation these children would probably be left to die in the government run orphanages. This foundation is so nice because they have numerous children villages. They are run like free standing homes, designed to model a normal family environment instead of an institution. To me these are the children who really need our help.The children who only have a very slight chance of adoption because of their serious special needs.

For Christmas in 2006 I sponsored 12 of these children for the month of December in my friends and families names. Everybody was given a picture and bio of their child and literature with the hope if at all possible they could continue their sponsorship of that child. It is about the cost of a cup of coffee a day to make such a difference in a child's life. Why wouldn't you? (It is also a tax write off in cause you were wondering)

This sponsorship has given me the greatest joy. I receive updates and pictures of my children. It is so great to watch them have a much needed surgery and grow stronger everyday. I wait with bated breath for the monthly newsletter to come to make sure my children are okay. I love to see what they have been doing that month. What kind of field trips have they gone on, who visited them, how the construction is progressing on the new villages. I have grown to love all the children. It is also heartbreaking when I learn of a loss of a child. There is usually about one child a month. My husband asks me why I continue to read those newsletters every month when I know another child will be gone. I say I have to. No matter how much it hurts, I have to remind myself these children are there and suffering. I could bury my head in the sand but they will still be in China suffering. I want to make a difference in this world and I can not do that by denial.

Well it turns out after a year, I have received great news. One of my children has been adopted. Bethany ( In pink with braids) went home July 13 to her forever family in Iowa. She will be the youngest of 6 siblings. I am filled with joy for her and her family. I am honored to have been a part of this little girls life.

This adoption of my sponsored child leaves me with a new opportunity. I have decided to sponsor an older child in Lang son Vietnam at my children's orphanage. This will give me a chance to bring that child presents when I travel to Vietnam. I am so excited about this opportunity.

No comments: